Wednesday, May 11, 2011

VA-VOOM! Here’s the vigorous, versatile, and venerated VINCENT



In pursuit of knowledge, Wanda and VINCENT are inventive if nothing more.
*************************************
Gag cartoons, syndicated, and from magazines





      
 &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
At one point, the New Yorker magazine was where I fervently wished to see my cartoons published. I was not alone in that hope. Passing through the portal to this revered publication is an extremely difficult task. For years I submitted pencil sketches--they’re called roughs in the business; occasionally I would sell one . . . but only the gag, the idea, the joke. Then it would be assigned to a staff artist. Richard Taylor and George Price each did a finished drawing based on an idea for which I was paid. Sam Cobean, to whom I owe so much, did one also.


In due course the door opened slightly. Jim Geraghty, at the time, New Yorker Cartoon Editor suggested that I try drawing one of the gags I’d submitted instead of selling it. I did my best . . . three times, striving to create a masterpiece worthy of a page in the magazine. Ultimately the effort came to an end without the goal achieved. 



The New Yorker did not buy the drawing. I took it to Park East, virtually across the street, where I was paid the princely sum of $15.  (Not big bucks, even in 1952)
#########################################


This MM blog would appear to include everything but the kitchen sink. Wrong. This spot I did for a garage sale many years ago. See----there it is: The Kitchen Sink.


Hope you’ll see us again next week.
Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment