Wednesday, January 26, 2011

It's good news, but how did it happen?

I'm pleased . . . totally! 


This morning's email contained a report from SiteMeter, which counts the number of times the Monthly Missive is visited. It's only the second one since the blog inaugurated January 4. The first report indicated that no one had looked in. That was a week ago. But this report showed an increase (it's difficult to go backwards) to 335 visits; as of 5:12 this morning! 
There are many blog sites (is that the correct terminology?) that sustain "hits" numbering in the thousands---yes, even millions so something under 350 might not appear to be a big deal. But, as I said, I'm pleased . . . totally!


Surely the mention in Facebook---of which I'm not smart enough to employ---by two of our sons, is a factor in the sudden, if only temporary popularity of the Monthly Missive. Of course, it's possible that all of our five children (youngest one is 50) have been going back--and back again to see if there is a new VINCENT the Magician on the blog; one they missed years ago when I was churning out the almost-never-to-be-quite-close-to-famous-comic strip. 
Whatever reason is valid, I'm pleased . . . totally!


 Hey, here we are, collaborating on a vintage knee slapping episode of VINCENT.       circa 1968

Right here, something should be made clear. 
The Monthly Missive will not change too much from what many of you have told me you've enjoyed for the past six years. I sent it directly as an email to more than 200 family members, friends, clients and associates. There was always the caveat: If you'd rather I not email this to you once a month, please just say, "Jim, stop!" 
With this blog format it's even easier to avoid contact. But I do hope you'll be a regular visitor to the MM-2-12-15-7 (Tom Mix code for b-l-o-g)       
Another thing, I enjoy writing almost as much as I like drawing. So MM-2-12-15-7 will continue to contain both, as the muse dictates. Writer friends tell me I'm a pretty good cartoonist. Buddies in the funny picture field suggest I should stick to the keyboard. That said, be advised that 
*VINCENT will be a regular in this space. 
*Jack Dunning of  www.computoredge.com has given me permission to share some of the cartoons which have appeared in his online magazine. Over time, there will be samplings of 
*LI'L ONES and WEE WOMEN shown. (The syndicated panels originally created by Mell Lazarus) 
*MagiToons, from MagiCurrents, the newsletter of San Diego's magic club, Ring 76 will appear without as much as an Abracadabra!  Ellen Friedman comes up with the ideas for those cartoons. 
*Gag cartoons which were published in magazines' Golden Age.
*Selected pieces of advertising cartoons and just any ole things I come across while pretending to get organized in this 
studio. 

+++ I tell you----I'm going to have fun. Hope you will too.

Before taking leave you should have a formal introduction to the VINCENT family.
I'll be doing something with MM-2-12-15-7  at least once a week. Maybe only just a tweaking.
NO, not twittering.
Cheers,
Jim





1 comment:

  1. Hey, nice to see you finally decided to do this.
    Sorry about the email confusion but I lost my main domain this past month while attempting to consolidate them all into one. So you'll need to update your database/address book with jay@wingnutz.com instead of the other one...

    ReplyDelete